Student Year 6 to 7 Transition
An initial welcome:
Transferring from Primary to Secondary School can be an unsettling time for both pupils and their families. We hope that the programme of events that are organised will give potential new Year 7 students all the opportunity to feel confident about changing schools, and to look forward to a new start in September.
The amount of information contained within our school website can be daunting at first so we have included some vital links for you here. This means you will be able to come to this page for the first few months when your child has joined Year 7 and easily find answers to many queries you may have by following these links.
We hope these web pages will help answer questions which new students and their families may have.
Calthorpe Park School will provide new students with the opportunity to do lots of new things; to meet and make lots of new friends, to work with new teachers and to explore some new subjects.
As a Hampshire school we use the agreed Hampshire County Council’s Admissions Criteria during the process of considering whether we should offer places to new students. A copy of the current criteria document is provided via the link below.
The main stages in the application process:
Initial information: The process begins late in Year 5 while the child is at Junior School. Mrs Lambert, our Director of Student Transition, keeps in close contact with all our main Junior School feeders and proactively shares information about key dates and the application process. Parents of children at other Junior Schools should contact us around June (Year 5 child age) so that we can provide information directly.
Open Days: During the Autumn term we arrange an Open Evening and Open Mornings at School for interested families of children in Year 6. During this time we provide tours around our school, the Headteachers give a welcoming address in our auditorium hall and information is shared to all linked Junior Schools and posted on our website, on this page.
- Status: This year we are holding a virtual Open Event on Wednesday 14 October and details will be shown on the website under Joining Us/Open Event 2020.
Application Submission Deadline: The submission date for on-time applications for a Year 7 place in September each year is at the end of October whilst the child is in Year 6. If a family wishes to make a late application they should urgently contact our Admissions Officer at School.
Status: The deadline for on-time applications for a Year 7 place in September 2020 is 31 October 2020, using the online form at the Hampshire County Council page here.
Application Outcome: Families who make an on-time application for a place at a Secondary School in Hampshire will be informed of the outcome on, or very soon after, 1 March. Letters describe the outcome of the application and what the next step needs to be for the applicant.
- Status: Following the on-time deadline (as above) all applications will be processed and decisions made based on our Admissions Criteria. Applicants will be informed of the outcome of this process by email on 1 March 2021 for online applicants, and by letter on 1 March 2021 for paper applications.
Induction Days: For students who successfully gain a Year 7 place at our School we arrange two Induction Days in July. Further details regarding these days are provided here and shared via Junior Schools.
- Status: We were not able to hold these days in July 2020, but hope to be able to go ahead in the summer of 2021.
Additional Help and Advice
At any point during the process outlined above, if a parent would like further help or advice they should contact Mrs Lambert, our Director of Student Transition or our Admissions Officer at School, via Reception, either by phone or email.
Additional resources and guidance can be found via the links below:
Linked Downloadable documents that were sent out in the summer of 2020 for Y7 students who started in September 2020:
I have already sent (via feeder schools) the following:
- Parent letter re Transition May 2020
- Doc 1 Assembly for Junior Schools 2020 – this contains some information about home learning, mobile phones, the school café, school uniform, clubs and more
- Doc 2 Secondary School Transition Booklet – a booklet to be downloaded and printed with tasks to work through with the help of document 3
- Doc 3 Getting Secondary Ready Powerpoint – a presentation that will support you in completing the tasks in the ‘Getting Secondary Ready’ Booklet
Please also note the additional documents that have been added:
- Parent Letter 2 re Transition June 2020
- Doc 4 FAQs from Year 6 – answers to Frequently Asked Questions from Year 6 Parents, Carers and Students **
- Doc 4a Uniform FAQs
- Doc 5 Map of the School Campus – giving details of the two routes taken in the video tour
- Doc 6 Video Tour of the School – a 15 minute video tour of the school following the two routes from the map (be careful downloading and using up data)
- Parent Letter 3 re Transition 22 June 2020
- Doc 7 Advice Video – our Year 7 students have been thinking about the best advice to share
- Doc 8 Additional Advice – some extra advice from our Year 7 students
The following documents to assist with understanding more about Learning have been added (29 June):
- Parent Letter 4 re Transition 29 June 2020
- Doc 9 Learning at Calthorpe Park – a booklet with a brief outline of Year 7 Learning in each of our subjects
- Doc 10 Secondary School Learning Booklet – a booklet containing tasks/activities from each subject
- Doc 11 Crime Mystery Detective Reading List – a list of books to choose 1 or more to read to aid transition into English
- Doc 11a Crime Mystery Detective Letter – a letter detailing the requirements for the Reading List above
- Doc 12 Y6-Y7 Summer Reading Challenge – provided by the Library for all the keen readers
- Doc 12a Y6-Y7 Summer Reading Challenge Letter – a letter detailing the requirements for the Summer Reading Challenge
- Doc 13 Moving On PDF – a list of books to support the Summer Reading Challenge (this has been sent via email as was password protected so no link)
- Parent Letter 5 re Tutor Groups 6 July 2020
- Parent Letter 6 re Working Groups 13 July 2020
- Parent Letter 7 re Summer Learning and September Start 20 July 2020
- Parent Letter 8 re September start 24 August 2020